Sunday, March 4, 2012

Another year, Another Oscars


Its been a few days since the 84th Annual Academy Awards and I must say I was quite pleased with the outcome of most awards, although there was not much surprise with the winners. And a lot of the show was predicable and a bit canned. 

First off,  congrats to Christopher Plummer for winning best actor in a supporting role! I couldn't have been happier. And his speech was so genuine and sweet. 

As for other winners, there was no surprise that The Artist won best picture. In fact, I won a $50 bet that The Artist would win (my poor unsuspecting friend was so sure The Help was a shoe-in, poor girl). After watching The Artist clean up at the Golden Globes, and knowing the demographics of the majority of Academy voters, I knew they had it in the bag.



The look of sincere surprise on Meryl Streep's face when she won best actress was priceless. And she took her time up there soaking in the joy of winning such an award. 

My favorite part?

Esperanza Spalding's version of "What a Wonderful World". What an incredible voice and what an incredibly unique version of such an iconic song. I was mesmerized by the control and softness of her voice.

Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy and Jane Eyre squeaked by a bit unnoticed. Over all, Focus Features "took home" one award, Christopher Plummer's. 


The fashion was fine, a bit predicable. No one took a risk, except, of course, for Christopher Plummer's fantastic Velvet Suit. Kudos for the bold move among a bunch of stars afraid to take a risk. I guess it's time to invite Bjork back...

It's the closing of awards season and with last years pick of movies, it was exciting and fulfilling to both watch them all, and see the accolades be distributed accordingly. 

I can't wait for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment